Help with individual advice and complaining

Choose is a consumer information site but, unfortunately, we can't offer any form of advice or help directly when our users face problems with their service providers.

However, we can help by pointing you in the right direction either to make a complaint or to get one on one advice.

Read on or skip ahead to the section that best applies:

  • Make a complaint: if the problem is with a mobile provider, broadband provider, energy supplier or bank, a formal complaint may be a good way to start
  • Take a complaint further: ombudsmen to help resolve service disputes
  • Get advice: free advice services can help with service provider disputes, financial problems, housing issues and answer many other questions

What Choose can help with

Our mission is to be as helpful as we can to a wide range of people by providing expert guides and reviews on products, services and consumer rights.

All our articles can be found through our guide and search sections.

We also collect data to help our users to compare deals side by side: if that sounds useful try our broadband comparison or mobile comparison pages.

Complaints first stage: service providers

Those facing a problem with a service provider - like a mobile network, broadband provider, energy supplier or bank - are often best off contacting the company to resolve the issue first, before involving any third parties.

Every service provider must have a clear complaint procedure and customers can ask about this using the company's standard method of contact.

Taking complaints further: ombudsmen

When a complaint with a service provider has lasted over eight weeks without reaching a satisfactory conclusion, consumers are entitled to take the problem to an ombudsman or Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) service, which amounts the same thing.

The ombudsman will look at both sides and make a final resolution: both parties must agree to stand by their determination.

Financial Ombudsman Service

Complaints about a bank, insurance company or other financial firm can be dealt with by the Financial Ombudsman Service if it has not been resolved after eight weeks.
Contact by phone:
0300 123 9 123 or 0800 023 4567
Monday to Friday: 8am to 8pm, Saturday: 9am to 1pm
Contact by email:
[email protected]
More information:
On the Ombudsman website:

Communications & Internet Services Adjudication Scheme (CISAS)

CISAS can help resolve disputes with the following communications providers: ASDA Mobile, iTalk, Lycamobile, Now TV, Sky, TalkTalk, Virgin Media, Vodafone, Zen Internet and others.
Contact by phone:
020 7520 3814
Contact by email:
[email protected]
More information:
On the CISAS website:

Ombudsman Services

Ombudsman Services can help resolve disputes with the following communications providers: BT, O2, Tesco Mobile, Three, Gigaclear, Hyperoptic, Community Fibre, and others.
They also handle complaints regarding energy providers, you can search for your provider here.
Contact by phone:
0330 440 1614
Monday to Friday: 8am to 8pm, Saturday: 9am to 1pm
More information:
On the Ombudsman website:

Advice services

Free one on one advice services may be able to help with your problem.

Citizens Advice

Help with: Help with benefits, housing and other financial issues. Their consumer service provides free, confidential and impartial advice on issues around buying goods or services.
Citizens Advice website.

Law Centres

Help with: Housing, employment, debt and other legal issues.
Law Centres website.


Help with: Housing and homelessness.
Shelter website

Step Change

Help with: Debt.
StepChange website.
For more sources of free debt help see our full guide here.